Bong Bong was the first village in the Southern Highlands, situated in the bend of the Wingecarribee River to the north of what is now Moss Vale.
It was designated as a village site by Governor Macquarie in 1821. On a hill above the village stood the Argyle Inn, built by William Bowman in 1827.
Charles Throsby, nephew of the explorer Dr Charles Throsby, bought the Argyle Inn and surrounding land in 1844. He rebuilt the Inn further up the hill in 1845 and named it The Royal Oak.
In 1874, his son Patrick Hill Throsby converted the Inn to his family home and renamed it the Briars.
In 2020, the Briars Inn took on an extensive renovation after it was closed due to a fire in 2018.
A focus of the restorations was to retain the venue’s historic elements, while adding some more contemporary features.
The main dining room has been increased in size and extensive landscaping has created fantastic outdoor drinking and dining options for everyone. Character-filled private dining spaces have been created upstairs, while the intimate areas around the bar have been aptly renamed the “Throsby Bar & Lounge”.